The Abbey was founded in 888 by King Alfred the Great, and his daughter Æthelgifu was the first abbess. In all other Anglo-Saxon monasteries monks and nuns worshipped together, but lived separately. Shaftesbury Abbey was the first to open only to women.
Article from The Times, 26/01/1931, on the discovery of the Relics of Saint Edward the Martyr by John Wilson-Claridge.
A photograph of the casket enclosed by stone slabs taken at their discovery in January 1931. The slab forming the top of the grave has been propped up. The lid of the lead casket is visible. The place where the casket was found is number '25' on the Shaftesbury Abbey Plan.
Photograph taken at the same time with the lead lid of the casket raised, and the relics clearly visible. The lid of the casket is badly corroded. This has now been restored, and the orginal is on display in the Shaftesbury Abbey Museum.
The Abbey Crypt. The relics were found at the top of these stairs on the right hand side.
A shrine built by John Wilson-Claridge to house the relics of Saint Edward the Martyr.
This fifteenth century cross was taken from Saint Edward's Chantry in Bimport and erected here in 1931. The recesses in the cross contained alabaster carvings which have been removed for restoration. One carving depicts a seated figure, robed and crowned.